Name: Mike Gorski
Hometown: Eden Prairie, MN
Education: Bachelor of Science – Nutrition/Dietetics – University of Wisconsin, Madison
Training Certifications: ACE Certified Personal Trainer – May 2011
Favorite Quote: “Don’t ask for a light load, but rather ask for a strong back” – Unknown
1) What is your personal exercise history, and when did you start?
I have been working out ever since freshman year in high school when I decided to go out for the football team. I came into high school with a 6′, 160 pound frame, and graduated at 6′ 2″, 235 pounds. I joined the track team (throwing) at UW and bulked up to 260 pounds my freshman year. While I was much stronger, I was also carrying some extra “baggage” as well. After my first year, I had to undergo surgery on my lower back to have a cyst removed. Unfortunately, I was not able to workout my lower body at all summer and lost most of my leg and lower back strength. I was not able to continue with track, and decided to shed the pounds that I had gained. In my first semester as a sophomore, I lost over 40 pounds by following a healthy diet and increasing my cardio intensity by using High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and got back to a healthy 220. Since then I have lost another 10 pounds and have maintained a body weight of 210 for over 3 years.
2) What do your personal workouts look like?
Lately, I have been adding in many functional training exercises, working with TRX’s, Bosu Balls, Med Balls, Kettlebells and Strength Bands. I still follow a more “power athlete” style workout program, while incorporating more explosive cardio movements, and bodybuilder style workouts as well. I enjoy trying new exercises, and figuring out how to make them even more physically challenging.
3) What is your training background?
The past two summers, I worked at my high school (Eden Prairie, MN) as the assistant strength and conditioning coach for all fall sports. I was fortunate enough to work with the football, boys soccer, and girls volleyball teams; all which went on to become State Champions in the Fall of 2011. I worked with many future college athletes, including several division one athletes as well.
4) What are your hobbies (outside of working out of course) and other fun facts about yourself?
- I have been playing guitar for over 8 years, and recently got a banjo and have been working on learning that as well.
- Once the weather warms up, you can find me fishing in my free time.
- I love the outdoors and the freedom that comes with it, and therefore I would rather go on a vacation to the national parks out west than a beach down south.
- I was lucky enough to get to travel a lot with my family, my favorite vacation was a Mediterranean cruise two summers ago.
- Unlike most college students, I really enjoy cooking and trying new healthy recipes in the kitchen. My favorite meal of the day is breakfast, and I make the worlds greatest breakfast burritos. I will eat pretty much anything, except tofu.
- I am an “adrenaline junky” who loves roller coasters, cliff jumping, rock climbing and would like to go sky diving some day soon!
- My favorite sports teams are the Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Twins, and all Wisconsin Badger teams.
Streets of Rome 2010